. . . . .

2.20.2006



busy



It's been a few days since I've updated. I've been pretty busy. As you can see from my last post, over the weekend I moved home to EC! :) Last week was crazy. Imagine getting your license and moving out of your parents' house in the same week. It was pretty much like that, plus I'm starting to walk more without the crutches, so that's exciting too.

So why did I move home? Last week my awesome roomie asked the rental agency to put in another railing in our stairway. Now there's a railing on each side and it's pretty easy for me to get up and down the stairs. I gained a lot of strength and coordination in the past couple weeks, so that helps too. If you've read my blog in the past, you're probably not surprised that moving home was one of my biggest goals. I can't express how amazing it is to finally be here. It really helps my health and well-being to be resting in my own bed in my own home. But more importantly, my move home is representative of all the barriers I've overcome. When I think back to a week ago, or a month ago, or the weeks following the accident, I'm amazed at how far I've come. I felt like a different person when my body was holding me back, but now I'm starting to feel like myself again.

Having said that, I still have my good days and my bad days. Today was kind of a bad day because I was just so tired. Last night I had a three hour rehearsal for the Viennese ball. I love playing that music, but that rehearsal was really too much for me. Dr. C was probably right this morning when he told me to "not be a hero". I'm not good about letting people know when I need a break.

Sometimes I wish I could magically take a vacation from all of this. I usually don't question it - I never think "why me?" - but I wish I could just have one "normal" day, where I didn't have to be exhausted or in pain. Most days I wonder if I'll have the energy to finish my day and get myself back into bed. But the list of things I can do is growing rapidly, and I know I'll have a "normal" day soon enough.

In random news, I could write a book about awkward post-accident conversations. It's kind of funny - people never really know what to say to me. Really, I'm pretty hard to offend, and I don't mind answering questions. I think I'd rather answer questions than have someone trying to tiptoe around the subject in hopes that they won't offend me. On a daily basis, people I don't know ask me how I hurt my leg. I don't mind talking about the accident, but I guess I can see why the conversations usually end up being awkward. "I was in a bus accident" tends to end the conversation, because nobody (my age) really knows what to say to that. Someone I talked to recently thought I was joking, and then was horrified when he realized I was telling the truth. I should just start telling people I sprained my ankle in a drunken encounter with a staircase (I know several people who've done that ;) ) since I think that's the kind of thing people expect to hear. Actually, older people always know exactly what to say, but some people my age (excluding my friends) struggle with it. It's becoming apparent to me that most college students aren't as mature as they think they are.

Anyway, I'm exhausted and I should get some sleep. I will leave you with photos of my favorite kitties in the world, who are very happy that I am home (ignore the crappy cell camera quality):

6 comments:

Becky said...

hahaha....those silly kids falling down stairs and messing up their ankles these days! I mean, honestly! Who does that?! ;o)

Glad that you're back home. I'm really happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Had a great time visiting with you and Andrea for decades in my office and then going to eat. It was relaxing. It's weird because sometimes you just need to "waste time". Well, I do anyways...but we all know I am different. See you later!
-Liz

Ryan and Max's Mama said...

KITTIES!!!!!! Your grey kitty looks like my big fat cat.

Glad you're lovin' being home. I love being at home...I wish my home was in EC too most of the time, but you already know that...it's lonely here.

Okay, glad that you're back. I hope to see you around in the next couple months. I'll be around sporadically. Is that how you spell that word?...

tara dawn said...

You know, in college I broke my hip when I was working out on the leg press machine at the gym (thus why I now boycott the gym:) and I got so tired of asking why I was on crutches and then the ensuing question of how in the world I managed to break a hip at the age of 19. Eventually, I began telling people in the bars that I was practicing a circus act on an elephant's back and fell off. The scary part is that a few actually believed me.
My point...college kids are not always the most understanding. Just start telling people random things if you get too tired of the real story....it can make for an interesting story.
I'm glad you're settled back at home. Be sure to take care of yourself and allow yourself some relaxation and downtime as well...we all need it.
Sending hugs and love,
TD

Heather in DE said...

You can also use tripping on the sidewalk. As I have done both. That is what we call true talent my friend. Glad to hear you're homestyle now. :)

johnseb said...

You could blame it on John Lydon. He does break a lot of people. Or you could say you slipped and fell outside the woodwind tech room. Oh wait, that was Boll. Anyways, had fun the other day wasting time. Your kitties are cute. And I agree with Angie, the grey one looks like her Mitchell.