. . . . .

8.06.2006



updation



So... I was three or four paragraphs into a new blog entry and then a fuse died here at Raji's house. Sigh...

I went to see my knee surgeon last week, and we talked about my upcoming ACL surgery. We decided fall semester would be a good time to do it. So now I'm trying to decide between early September or mid-November. Neither time is very convenient, but I can't really help that. September is busy due to marching band stuff, and I don't want to miss classes at the beginning of the semester, because it could make me get off to a bad start. November is bad because I'll miss a few days of class earlier in the month because I'm going to a convention, so I don't want to miss more school. And it might be stressful to have a surgery that late in the semester. My surgeon told me I'll be on crutches for about four weeks, and I'll probably have to miss at least a week of school. Any advice is welcome...

My surgeon talked to me a bit about the procedure. He's going to use donor material to reconstruct my ACL. It's common for surgeons to make a graft from the patient's patellar tendon, but I guess my tendon isn't in very good shape anymore, so I don't have enough to spare. He could use the tendon from my other knee, but he said he doesn't see the point in potentially damaging a knee that's otherwise fine. The donor material should work just fine though. My surgeon told me that, as a result of the accident, I'll end up having arthritis in my knee at a relatively young age. I knew that already, but it was pretty sobering to hear that coming from him.

I think I've sort of reached another milestone - I'm done with physical therapy (until after my ACL surgery). Everything I was doing at PT, I already do on my own. I've been spending more time at the gym lately. It's nice to be able to work out at home, but I'm at the point where I need to work on building strength - something that's easier to do at the gym. My knee surgeon said he's proud of me for how far I've come in my recovery. He was surprised at how much motion I've already regained in my knee.

In other news, today I finished writing mallet parts for the first two pieces of Chi-Hi's marching show. I've spent countless hours on it so far. It takes me forever to write music, especially when I'm writing six individual parts. Tomorrow is the first August rehearsal, and I'm hoping my whole section shows up so I can actually hear what the music sounds like.

9 comments:

Ryan and Max's Mama said...

Can you not have your surgery right after Christmas? Seems like that would be a better time since the huge break in school in January.

I'd go for November -- at least it's towards the end, and you wouldn't be trying to rehab and get through the entire semester, you know?

Just my thoughts! :)

J said...

I agree with Angie. If not Christmas then November. You might even be able to get ahead of a lot of your work from classes. At least you would know what you were doing, what the expectations were and the quirks of the professor. Plus you could let the professor know day one and they would be able to make accommodations.
-H~man

ami said...

January wouldn't be very good because I don't want to go into spring semester while still recovering. I could graduate in December and then have the surgery in January, but that creates lots of other problems - I wouldn't have insurance, wouldn't be able to work full time, etc. Also, crutches + ice = bad.

November might be good, though. And hopefully it won't be too icy yet.

tetonbadger said...

augh! NOOOO!
Do a little reaserch and you will see that patellar tendon grafts are the OLD way to reconstruct ACLs, and Dr.s who do them just havent bothered to go back to school and learn the new ways to do acls (like hamstring) I was told that young athletic people in good shape should NEVER have a patellar graft- and Dr.s who say they should just are not up with the new techniques and are not being honest with their patients
I was also told that getting a cadaver graft has all sorts of potential bigger problems, I understand you dont have much patellar left (thats exactly why you dont want to mess with a patellar! you have PLENTY of hamstring! most of your leg is hamstring thats why its better to use it! you only have one patellar! you have a ton of hamstring) I was told only people who need a quick recovery get a cadavar because it is faster but it causes more arthritis and trouble when you are older and many just have to have the surgery again in their 30s, which mucks about in there yet AGAIN and thats never good
so if you are a football star who needs to be back by next season a cadavar is a risk you might take but Amy- lets do right the first time! You do NOT need to do this again in 10 years, the hamstring graft is stronger, long term lasts longer and is less invasive!
I know these Dr's think they know best but the top ACL surgeons in the field have said otherwise, but serriously dont believe me- do wome online reaserch- youll see!
AUGH- we need to get you to see some doctors in minneapolis or somthing! every time I turn around one them has screwed you up again! I cant stand it!
*pant pant* End Rant- call me would you? I can explain it better...

tetonbadger said...

also remember you are buying a product here- you are buying a service, why dont you shop around a bit? find the best person to do this, who has the most surgerys under their belt, and is the most respected in the area. Your Dr is a surgeon, thats a skill- some surgeons are better than others just like some mechanics are better- you would shop around for repairing a car why not get a second opinion for your acl- you only have two knees! Just because your DR says you should do this one way dosent mean it is the best way- surgeons expect people to shop around, it wont offend him....

ami said...

Tenley -

My doctor isn't doing a patellar graft, so don't worry about it. Check out this site: http://www.orthoassociates.com/ACL_grafts.htm - according to the authors of this site (and others I've checked), hamstring grafts can lead to more disadvantages than allografts. As far as your comment about cadaver grafts being used for people who need quick recovery times, from what I understand they actually take the longest to recover from. Also, because I've already had so much trauma to my knee/leg and because my body doesn't react well to surgeries, it makes more sense for me to have an allograft, instead of having more damage done to my leg and having to recover from the donor site as well as the ACL.

Also, as far as I know, my doctors have never "screwed me up". My surgeons all did their recidencies at Mayo. Why would I go to a doctor somewhere else, when the ones here are familiar with my (complex) case and I'm happy with my results so far? Sometimes "big city" doctors are too busy with so many patients, that they don't bother to understand their patients' histories and make an educated decision on what is best for them. By the way, keep in mind your high-profile doc kind of screwed up on you by not prescribing you time on a CPM machine.

Lastly, with all due respect, I'm going to follow the advice of a doctor on this one. Lots of people have had ACL surgeries and they've all told me different things about what I should do, but I'm going to listen to doctors instead of my peers. I understand I'm fully entitled to seeking a second opinion, but at this time, I don't see the need to do that.

*** said...

My dad had the same surgery that you are going to have and he had it done the way your doc wants to do it and hes playin basketball again. Its nice.

As for when you have the surgery? That sucks dude. good luck.

I dont like ice. nope.

ami said...

Crystal -

I guess that would explain why I saw your dad once in the orthopedic clinic. I'm glad to hear he's doing well!

Oh, and I don't like ice either. At least you don't have to deal with it much down there.

tetonbadger said...

you are right of course, you are in the situation and know whats best...I apologize- I know Dan and I sometimes get annoying giving advice when we are not even there- I think we just worry about you, I dont want another situation like your ankle... :) You sound really confident about this guy and really thats whats important, we want you to feel good about all this...well as good as possible :)