. . . . .

1.09.2008

it's raining

Long time no write, I suppose.

This week, I have to:
- read 250 pages worth of articles (okay, 50 down, 200 to go)
- read two chapters of Rahn's Basic Atonal Theory (which is out of print, so I have to share the library's copy with two other people)
- read a book (I don't remember which one) for my hypermeter course
- read a chapter or two for atonal theory
- practice percussion so much that it doesn't seem like I didn't have a chance to practice over break
- physical therapy/working out
- other stuff that I'm forgetting
- oh yeah, regular meals

I finished my work for the day, and I have a few minutes before bed, so that's why I'm writing.

Christmas break was good. It was nice to be home, but at the same time, I missed Seattle. It's weird because this is the first time I've "gone away" for school, so going home is all different. I was home for three weeks, but it actually went by really fast. Now I'm back in Sea-town and back to school.

My ankle is appreciative of my return to a temperate climate. I was really sore while I was home, and I'm not even feeling much better now that I'm back here. I don't know if my ankle is still all screwed up from the climate change, or if it's just getting worse in general. I've started going to physical therapy again for the first time in a month, so hopefully that will help.

Anyone paying attention to the primaries? I've felt pretty apathetic for the past year or so when it comes to national politics, but I've surprised myself lately by getting interested again. I think I was disinterested because I wasn't very impressed by any of the front-runners, but inevitability has caused me to start to pay more attention to them. Anyway, I guess I'm not surprised that Obama and Hillary are neck-and-neck now. I bet Edwards will drop out soon, which is just fine by me. I think the dynamics of the Hillary campaign are really interesting right now, following her "meltdown." I think it's unfortunate that she's subjected to such a double-standard: she's been criticized all along for seeming too "cold" and "unemotional," but now that she's showing some emotion, she's accused of being "weak." There was an Edwards quote after that incident (that I don't think was included in the NY Times article) - he basically said that if she can't handle the campaign, she won't be able to handle the presidency. I wonder what the reaction had been had this "meltdown" come from Obama or Edwards. It makes me think the country isn't ready for a woman president. Anyway, judging by the NH primary, this incident seemed to have worked in her favor. Which makes people question whether she can cry her way into the White House. Whatever...

On a completely unrelated note (but something that has been on my mind lately): since I've spent some time away from home, it has given me some much-needed physical distance from the accident and all of the aftermath. Now that I've moved, I've had to tell the whole story to my friends, since nobody out here automatically knows what happened to me (unlike at home). Summing up the last two plus years of my life in that way has also seemed to give me some cognitive distance. All this distance has helped me to realize that I sort of got a second chance at life, and now I've decided that I want to come up with a list of things I want to accomplish in my lifetime. I haven't sat down and figured it all out yet, but I know I'd like to: get my PhD, climb a mountain, and see Italy, Ireland, and Japan. I expect the list to keep growing, because even as I accomplish these feats, I should always have more challenges waiting for me. :) Dear reader, if you were to make a list, what would you include?

5 comments:

dan said...

Lets climb the Grand Teton, or something cool in Washington or B.C.

ami said...

Deal.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see Joshua Bell in concert and visit Prague and Salzburg.

ami said...

Ooo, those are good ones

tetonbadger said...

OOh I am coming on the climbing bit :)