How to be a gimp
Reading guestbooks that were created for my injured friends. Talking to other friends about how they plan to catch up in schoolwork. Juggling doctor's appointments. Popping pills and comparing aches with my boyfriend. That sad look in everyone's eyes and high schoolers who grew up too fast. Visitations, memorials, funerals. This is life.
But I'm dealing with it, and it won't always be this way.
Today was a big day for me. I got to go on another field trip! I used the crutches to get outside the house, and then got in my mom's little car. Normally whenever I go anywhere, my dad wheels me out the house (via the wheelchair ramps), then I use my walker to stand up and get close to the truck, and then my dad sort of lifts me into the truck. Using crutches is much easier and it means that my mom and I can go places when my dad isn't around to help. I'm starting to use the crutches more now that I'm getting stronger.
My mom and I went to the mall. Yay! My mom pushed me around in the wheelchair and we bought a bunch of stuff. All the clerks who helped us in the stores asked what happened to me, and looked so sad when I told them what happened. I'm still learning how big of news the accident was. I was surprised when everyone instantly knew what accident I was talking about. Anyway, other than that (and my tailbone getting sore from sitting in the wheelchair so long - I broke it in August), it was a good trip.
Update on Raji: he had an appointment today about his MRI and the doctor told him he can't drive for like three weeks. Not cool since he works a weird shift and lives half an hour away from me, but I'm sure he'll figure it out.
My goals for this week are to get kind of caught up on schoolwork, gain more flexibility in my knee, and become more steady on the crutches. They're high goals, wish me luck ;)

No comments:
Post a Comment