. . . . .

11.30.2005



PT & MRI



I did really well in physical therapy today! On the exercise bike, I was able to do full rotations backwards with the seat at a lower setting than before. Then we raised the seat and I did some more backwards rotations and worked on eliminating some "cheats" that I had been doing to make it easier. Then I was able to do forward rotations!!! I don't think my therapist was expecting me to be able to do any of that today. I've been working hard when I do my exercises at home, and it's starting to pay off. I haven't made a whole lot of progress yet in straightening my leg, though. But we worked on that a lot during therapy today and I learned some new things to try at home. I need to be able to straighten my leg more before I can walk.

The MRI went pretty well today. After hearing about Raji's bad experience (being cold and uncomfortable and having trouble sitting still for the 75 mins), I was worried. But the radiologists got me really comfortable with lots of pillows before they shoved me in the tube. My scans only took about 30 mins total. The machine made some cool rhythmical noises - it was like being inside a techno song. I would have fallen asleep if I wasn't so worried about trying to stay still. I did feel some weird sensations in my ankle, it was like that feeling when the hair raises up on the back of your neck, except it was coming from inside my ankle. It was more weird than painful. I hope the images of my ankle look okay. The radiologists were annoyed when I told them my doctor wanted an MRI despite the fact that I had metal put in my ankle four weeks ago. They seemed to think the images won't show much except for metal. Oh well, hopefully the orthopedic surgeon will still be able to tell what's going on. I'll find out the results on Friday.

Raji's day didn't go so well - his orthopedic surgeon told him he has to wait another month before he can start taking his boot off or drive. He has a slight fracture in one of his ankle bones and his doctor is worried that if he puts too much pressure on it, he'll get avascular necrosis. That's the problem that my orthopedic surgeon is worried about and it's why I got the MRI. From what I understand, avascular necrosis occurs when a bone has difficulty healing because it doesn't have a very good blood supply. My doctor told me that there isn't very good circulation around the ankle area.

I miss playing music. Imagine not being able to do what you love most for over six weeks and counting. I've been pretty patient though, because I know how lucky I am that I'll be able to play again sometime. Once I can start weight-bearing again, it should only take a couple weeks before I can stand on my own, and I'm guessing I'll be able to play percussion not long after that. I just want to be able to play in time for next semester so I can join wind symphony. It might be longer before I can play piano. I could technically sit down and play now, but I can't use the pedal, so it would sound stupid and I'd get frustrated. I wonder how much my playing style will change - after all, I've changed quite a bit. Music is how I express myself, and whenever I write this blog I think about how words just fall short of everything I'm feeling. If I can't put it into words, I can put it into music. If I can't play music, well.. then I'll just have to wait.

Random rant: does anyone else find it strange that the Speculator has done such a shitty job covering the accident? I guess I shouldn't have expected more from them. It's weird that our school paper has sort of dismissed all of us who continue to suffer through physical and emotional pain as a result of the accident. I realize that one of the most important elements of the news is "timeliness" - that is, whether the event happened recently - but the recovery of all the individuals and the department involved is important enough to do several follow-ups. It's no secret how tight-knit the music department is, and you'd think the paper would be interested in how much the accident has changed everything for us. When I worked there (worst semester of my life, by the way), I learned how much disdain the writers have for our "side of the river". It makes me sad when I think about how much the paper's bias may have played into their inadequate coverage and lack of follow-ups. This accident was huge and affected so many people - people who, by our student newspaper's assessment, aren't worth the time or consideration of the rest of the student body. Somehow I think it would have been covered differently if it happened to a different department. And that's sick - why should it depend on what department it happened to? We're all students at the same school. A tragic event like this should transcend any stupid bias. I'm not ranting because I want to be in the paper; I don't know if I'd even grant them an interview since they'd fuck it up. I'm just angry that the writers did the obligatory articles, which they will now stuff into their portfolio files, and now they're done with us. They're back to the important stuff, like their beloved "police blotters" or the glorification of alcohol. That's Reason #25,306 why the Speculator is so awful.

Well, that felt good. In other news, school sucks. I'm only taking two classes now and they're ones I would enjoy under different circumstances, but not anymore. I have to write a handful of papers before this semester is over. Know what else sucks about school? Having to be taken to class by my mom. While I greatly appreciate her taking me everywhere, it makes me feel like I'm 15 again. I can't wait until I can walk and drive, but I'm going to have to fight to regain my independence. My mom is way overprotective of me now. That's understandable, but I need to move on with my life. I'm injured but I'm not a baby.

I'm really not as crabby as those last two paragraphs make me seem. Wow, I had a lot to say today. Anyway, now I have to go study for a music history test... I'll be so glad when this semester is done!

(again, this stupid thing won't let me set the time, so if it matters, it's 8:45.)

3 comments:

Andrei S said...

I agree about the Spectator. What a horrible shitty newspaper - but I guess we already knew that. I still think it sucks, though.

We got a new xylo at Chi-Hi today! It's a Musser Kelon. It came with a huge cart for marching band season - the wheels are bigger than my ... well, maybe I shouldn't finish that. :-) Did you get your shirt today?

Were you still thinking of coming out and visiting sometime? I can talk with Guidance and probably get some people excused from their classes, so you wouldn't have to come during band time and be completely swarmed.

tara dawn said...

Though I know nothing of the details of the accident, your school, or that ridiculous newspaper, I found myself enraged after reading that. Just remember that there are so many people that do care about your recovery, people that are interested, and people that are proud of you for the progress you are making every day. If the people running that paper are not those type of people, then they do not deserve the privilege of knowing you anyways. Ok, there's my ranting:) Again, I am so proud of you...as I look back over your blogs, even your words are showing your ever-increasing strength. Keep at it girl...your music still lives within you and it will be there when you are ready. - Tara

Atad Calmer said...

Don't even get me started on the the Speculator....only bad things will come......

We miss you....!!!

Mark