Water therapy and other stuff
I went to aqua therapy this morning, which went okay. The Eau Claire Y is really ghetto. Are they all like that? I think the Chippewa one is nicer. Navigating the EC Y is difficult. All the doorways are pretty narrow, which is hard with a wheelchair. I had to go through an office to get to the pool because it's just impossible to get there from the locker room. There's this chair thing that can lift people in and out of the water, but it was broken. I was not very happy about having to hop up the steps to get out of the pool. I wish I could just do the aqua therapy at my own gym, but the Y is where the therapy classes are held. Since the accident, I have so much more appreciation for people who are disabled and for all the trouble they have to go through. It's so frustrating to lose all of your independence.
Anyway, tomorrow is a big day: I'm getting an MRI to find out how extensive the damage in my ankle is. Then I have a doctor's appointment on Friday and the doctor will tell me when I'll be able to walk again. I'm eager to hear the news, but I'm not looking forward to the MRI itself. The people at the MRI center don't schedule in patients who have had a surgery in the last eight weeks. My orthopedic surgeon pulled some strings to get me in a month early. I'm thankful for that because it's possible I'll be weight-bearing a lot sooner, but there are reasons why MRIs are not recommended for a while after surgeries. An MRI is basically a big magnetic field, from what I understand. I have a whole lot of metal in my leg and not a lot of protective scar tissue yet. The brochure for the MRI says that the patient may feel "an uncomfortable sensation" if they have metal in their body... and that's assuming the patient hasn't had a surgery in the past eight weeks. I know that after everything else I've been through this MRI will be nothing, but I think I've felt enough "sensations" in my ankle for a while. Valium, please.
Speaking of my ankle, my stitches are starting to dissolve. That's a good thing but it hurts. It doesn't help that my walking cast rubs against the scabs. Ick.
I wrote most of a paper today, and I'll probably finish it up tonight. This is the most work I've done since the accident. I've been having some trouble writing - I don't know if it's because of the head injury or because I have too much stuff going on to focus on anything. Once every paragraph or so I forget what word I'm thinking of and it takes a long time for me to think of it. Even in this blog, I don't think my writing has been very good. I have trouble wording things the way I'd like to. But that's okay because it's just a blog.
A staff meeting has been planned - yay! It's over a month away but I'm excited. I hope it isn't all business though. I just want to see everyone together in one room again. It's going to be so weird. In a typical marching band season, the staff spends so much time together and then we kind of go our separate ways when it's over. I always miss seeing everyone after the season's over but this year is so much different. I think part of what makes the grieving process difficult is the fact that I wouldn't have seen any Chi-Hi staff people after state weekend (not for a while anyway), so I guess I'm not experiencing on a daily basis what it's like for G and Branden and the others to be gone.
For some reason I can't edit the time on this post. It doesn't really matter, but it's 9:40, not 5:40.

3 comments:
When are we ever all business?
true...
Keep up the good recovery!! It's tough and frustrating but you're doing an amazing job! Hope to see you soon! Heh, hurry back to EC so I can take the TV/VCR off your hands,right? :o) JK
Post a Comment