. . . . .

12.03.2005



amy: 1, avascular necrosis: 0



I CAN WALK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, sorta. I can put some weight on my foot, but not much. The MRI and yesterday's x-rays looked really good. Now my orthopedic surgeon is just worried about my knee. I can bend it further than before, but I still have a ways to go before I can straighten it. He told me that I really have to work hard at it because there's no surgery or anything that can fix my knee if I can't get it straight enough. My orthopedic surgeon makes me mad sometimes because he makes it seem like I just don't want to straighten my leg because it hurts too much. Yes, it hurts, but that's not what's stopping me - my muscles are so tight that I physically can't push my knee past a certain point. But I am working really hard at it, because I'll be damned if I have to have a permanent limp.

After yesterday's doctor appointment, I had physical therapy. I got to try some new exercises now that I can bear weight. I used a leg press type thing. It felt good to use some different muscles, but putting weight on my right heel hurt a lot. It's still bruised because it took all of the impact from the crash. During therapy, I was able to put about 10-15 lbs on my right leg. Now I can kinda put weight on my leg when I'm using crutches. That's a good thing because it will actually help my broken bones heal faster.

Today my family and I went out to eat and I used my crutches instead of the wheelchair, and sat in a booth. My ankle was pretty sore but I'm so ready to be done with the stupid wheelchair. It's a piece of junk. Normally I have to keep my foot up so it doesn't swell too much, but my circulation is improving now that I can put some weight on my foot.

Okay, time to play videogames.

2 comments:

Pat said...

Yeah Amy, way to go!

I had knee surgery last winter...not that it's anything close to what you're going through, but I can identify with the "can't move my knee any further than this" sentiment and the associated frustrations.

Keep getting better!

-Pat

tara dawn said...

I'm so happy for you to hear the good news. Sounds like you are making admirable progress. I know this must all seem weird coming from a stranger, but I really am proud of you girl. Your strength is inspiring.
-Tara