PT and staff meeting
Yesterday was a big day for physical therapy. My therapist had asked me to bring my other shoe to put on my bad foot so that my hips would be even when I'm on the exercise bike. He ended up having me walk with shoes on both feet (using the crutches), and it was WEIRD! I've had to use the walking cast since I've been weight-bearing. It's amazing how easy it is to forget how to walk. It doesn't help that my knee doesn't straighten all the way yet. My therapist wanted me to walk with normal shoes on because the boot doesn't allow for normal ankle and knee motion while walking. I started to get the hang of walking and it kind of hurt less after a few minutes. My therapist and both my athletic trainers were excited about my progress. At the end of my session, my knee was two degrees from being straight. On Wednesday I was four degrees away. Yay!
I hope that paragraph made sense... damn percocet. Anyway, the staff meeting was last night, and then a bunch of us went out to a bar afterwards. I'm not going to talk about most of it since most of the people reading this blog were there. Also, I'm kind of "talked out". But it felt so good to finally be back with the staff again.
One of the things we talked about in the meeting was the fact that we should all get back on the buses for the next trips. I guess I hadn't really thought about that. Well, I had, but I figured I'd worry about it when the time comes. It sounds like everyone else wants to get back on the buses at some point, so I should too. Brian suggested that a bunch of us could go to the bus company before the trips and ask to sit on one of the buses, just to get used to it again. UWEC's Wind Symphony will be going on a trip in the spring, and if I'm in that ensemble next semester, I think I'll try and drive the equipment van instead of riding on a bus. I don't think I'll be ready for it yet. I'm just worried that I'll get on the bus and start remembering things that I'd forgotten. I actually remember quite a bit, contrary to what I usually tell people. It's just easier to say "I don't really remember anything" because people always want to know what I saw, and I didn't see much. I saw my seat, and Raji, and maybe a couple other people, and the seat Raji set me down in, and the bus window. I don't remember anything else. Mostly I just remember what I felt, and that's about it.
Sometimes I get so wrapped up in my physical recovery that, even though it's a direct result of the accident, I'm not consciously thinking about it. Every now and then, especially when I'm talking to other people who were there, it hits me - holy fuck, that really happened. It was like something out of a horror movie, except it was real, and a lot of my friends went through it at the same time. Each of us had a radically different, equally awful experience. It's weird that I wasn't scared at the time, but it's scary to think about it now.
Well, I was going to type more, but I think that's about all I have to say for now. Sorry for the dark post. It doesn't really reflect my current mood - just some of the things that have been on my mind.

1 comment:
Amy --
I didn't think it was dark -- just real...and sometimes real is dark.
That's really great that you're close to walking around again and that your knee is getting straighter...you're moving forward and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom....what?
Anyway, have a good rest of the weekend...hope I can see you soon!
Post a Comment