sleepy
This post is going to be written really badly because I'm starting to get tired fast and I have a few other things to do before I can go to bed. Without further ado, here are some random things I've been thinking about today:
Without going in to a lot of the details, I'll say that the accident had a lot to do with the stupid decisions that one person made. It scares me to think that people can get behind the wheel of a vehicle, a potential lethal weapon, when they're in no condition to be driving. Once some friends and I were having a conversation (pre-accident) about people who drive while high. I'm not a fan of pot to begin with, but it drives me insane to think that people drive around while they're high. These friends of mine have tried to convince me that people can act pretty normally if they want to after smoking pot, but I don't think it's fair to other people on the road to get behind the wheel if you are affected in any way by something that can impair your reaction time or judgement. It scares me to think about how many people are sleepy or drunk or high while driving. They don't realize that their life could change in an instant if they get hurt or someone else does, or if they end up spending the rest of their life in jail. Everyone who drives should realize there are certain risks they take just by getting behind the wheel. Every time I get into a car now I'm paranoid, and I'm always closely watching the cars around me. I'll admit that I'm not a perfect driver - nobody is. But now I wonder if I've ever made a risky lane-change or done something else that affected someone who is paranoid as a result of being in an accident. When I'm riding in my mom's car and someone cuts us off or does something stupid... Well, I wouldn't want to wish that feeling upon anyone. It's getting easier for me to ride in cars, but it still bothers me to think about how seriously people in the cars around us take the task of driving.
I had a really really long day today! I had an appointment at 7:30, then a couple classes, and I stopped in the fine arts building, and then I had an hour of physical therapy. There was a lot of down time between all that and I was finally done and home by 4 pm. I'm proud of myself for having the energy to do all that. Even last week, that sort of schedule would have been unthinkable. I had a lot of walking to do, too. I'm paying for it now because I'm really sore, but I guess that will get better with time.
As I'm starting to ease back into my school routine, I'm impressed once again at how awesome everyone in the music department is, and disappointed at how people act on the "other side of the river". Once I leave the fine arts building, I enter a world where there are no manners. Nobody holds doors open for me, and people make sure I know how impatient they are with me because I'm slow. I really have no sympathy for them.
My mom has noticed the difference between people on opposite ends of the footbridge - she said everyone in the music department is way nicer, and people actually talk to her. Everywhere I go in the fine arts building, people smile or ask me how I'm doing or give me a hug. I really don't know how I would be able to handle school without having such a supportive group of students and professors to turn to. Even people I don't know well have talked to me and told me they're glad to see I'm back. I wish I would have tried to make more friends in the music department early on. I'm kind of shy around people I don't know, and since I never lived in the dorms, I didn't get to know a lot of people. Also, I was sort of intimidated by the cliques. Now that a lot of people I don't know well are going out of their way to talk to me, I'm regretting the fact that I didn't get to know them sooner, and now I'm going to graduate soon. Oh well, I'll try to make the most of the time I have left at UWEC.
If you see my mom, say hi, she likes that.

No comments:
Post a Comment