life, like the cereal
I am so so so happy to be playing in Wind Symphony again. I love the pieces I'm playing on. For the tour concert, I am playing piano on one piece and tympani & bongos on another. I'm finding that it isn't too hard to get back into playing music at that level. I mean, it's hard, but it's not overwhelming like I thought it might be. Dr. H is being really awesome about trying to work the rehearsal schedules around my schedule. I feel special.
I'm only playing on one piece in percussion ensemble this semester. That's really weird for me. Usually I'm playing on at least half the pieces, and I still wish I could do more. Last semester I was working on a piece called "Afta-Stuba!" with Catherine and Sean, and I was really excited about it. It's a really difficult piece for three players on one marimba. It requires a lot of running around the marimba and switching places, so it's physically as well as technically demanding. After the accident it was decided we'd put that piece off until this semester. Well, now the piece has been axed completely because of my stupid leg. I asked Dr. C about it today and he seemed reluctant to tell me, because I'm sure he knew I'd be upset, but it's not his fault. He's right - the piece would require a lot of practice starting right now, and I just can't do it. I was kind of mad at myself because my stupid leg is holding me back, but it's definitely not my fault either. It's too bad that we can't do the piece, because Sean and Catherine and I play really well together.
I'm getting frustrated because I'm STILL on crutches. I get asked several times a day how much longer I'll need crutches, and it's getting harder and harder to answer that question. My doctor told me I don't have to be on them anymore. I just physically can't walk without them yet. I feel like it's taking so long because I'm doing something wrong. But I know that's not really true. I'm already working as hard as possible to regain strength and motion in my leg.
Today I went to the doctor for my weekly check-up on my ankle incision. My doctor took one look at it and shook his head, and said he's going to treat himself to pizza and a beer when my ankle finally heals. Maybe he should treat me, too. He took the stitches out, which was incredibly painful. If you saw me later in the day and I looked crabby (as Sean told me), that's why. Anyway, now I have to soak my ankle three times a day. That doesn't feel so great either. Oh well, at least I got another prescription for percocet. I'll be so glad when I don't have to be doped up all the time, though.
I had an awesome weekend. Friday night Pokey and Ben took me to Ryan/Brandon's party, and a lot of people were cool enough to hang out downstairs with me (because I didn't want to attempt the stairs into the attic, where the rest of the party was). Saturday night was Todd's birthday party at Loopy's, and it was the most fun I've had in a really long time. It was so relaxing to be with the staff again. It was a good night for Sazama - he won $500 on a lottery ticket! That lucky bastard. Sunday I went to Raji's for his Superbowl party. It was the first time in 16 weeks that I'd been to his house! He lives in an upper, and I was always too afraid to attempt the stairs. I did it yesterday and just about had a heart attack. Stairs are so scary. It was nice being there again, though. Raji and his brother each adopted a kitty back in late September or early October, so the cats are HUGE compared to the last time I saw them. I really miss living with cats. I can't wait to move back to EC.
Anyway, I should get to bed. I wish every day was like five hours longer. I'm having trouble fitting all my appointments and classes and practice time and excercise and dressing changes and rest time and showers into each day. I had two appointments today, and I have five more for the rest of the week. Life is exhausting these days. But it's getting more and more fulfilling, and that's what matters. :)

3 comments:
I'll treat you to pizza and beer when your ankle heals! :-)
lol, awesome.
Hey Amy, Jim here. Just wanted to say hey and am glad you're doing well with your recovery. I hope the emotional side is progressing as well. When I last saw you at the visitation I didn't get a chance to say anything to you cause 87 people flocked immediately to where you where. Your smile in your current picture is much brighter than the one you had that night when i saw you. Thanks for at least letting me hold your hand! Keep on truckin and I will see you next summer. You'll get to see my baby then too! Im going to ask if C will need any help on staff for next season in drill. Andrew is doing great so I just want to help out discreetly. Talk to ya later and give raji a long, sweet, messy kiss on the lips for me! Haha!
Post a Comment