walking and parking
I'm bored, so I'll update. Not that I really have much to say... I could talk about all my aches and pains, but that's nothing new. I will say that this cold weather is really hard on my body.
Physical therapy is kind of interesting now. My trainers entertain themselves by setting up little obstacle courses for me to walk through (without crutches). I amaze myself and my trainers every time I go to PT because I'm able to do more each time. Today I walked backwards through one of the "obstacle courses". I hope I can build up more endurance soon. I've been trying to use just one crutch or no crutches whenever I go anywhere, but then I have to take a long nap partway through the day.
If you've talked to me in the past couple days, you know how angry I am about the parking situation at UWEC. There are not nearly enough handicapped-parking spots on campus. Of course this is something I never noticed before I needed to use them, but it is becoming sorely evident to me now. As the people in the students with disabilities office once told me, UWEC barely squeaks by the required accessibility requirements. I think campus technically has enough handicap spots, but they are in awkward places - 11 of them behind Schneider Hall?! I've never seen all of those full. However, in the Phillips and Hibbard lots, they're always taken. I should never have trouble finding a spot to park - I have a fucking handicap permit!! I NEED to be able to park close to the buildings, because I really can't walk very far, especially now that I'm trying to use one crutch instead of two. On Wednesday I skipped a class that was held in Hibbard because I couldn't find anywhere to park. Yesterday, out of frustration, I left my car parked in a spot with a 20-minute meter (my handicap permit allows me to park basically anywhere but 15- or 20-minute meters). Of course I got a ticket. It's not an expensive ticket, but it's the principle of the thing. I went to the parking office to talk to them about it, and the woman I talked to was a total passive-aggressive bitch. I should have asked her if she was ever on crutches or in a wheelchair, but I think I know the answer to that question. I would have argued with her, but I know I need to take the matter above the parking office. Immediately after that, I called a friend who's involved with the Student Senate and she said she's going to see if they can do anything. I think I'll be writing some letters to anyone who could make a difference (read: not the Speculator). I don't think anything will change during the time I'm at UWEC, but people need to know that our campus accessibility isn't good enough. I have overcome so many physical barriers in my effort to return to school - it's frustrating that now my education is blocked by my inability to park on campus!
Rant over. Anyway, this weekend should be fun, but freezing. If you're reading this, hopefully I'll see you around. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment