weekend in review
I should make this post short since I have to go to bed soon. This weekend was a lot of fun. Friday night I spent some time at the PMA house. Ali was awesome enough to give me a ride out there. I saw some people that I haven't seen in a while, and generally it was just a good time.
Yesterday was the Valentine's day Big Band Bash at Chi-Hi. For the fifth year, I played piano in the alumni band. I'm a little rusty since I only play jazz piano about once a year, but it went better than I expected. The alumni band doesn't get together to rehearse until the morning of the event. The morning rehearsal is always fun because it's like a mini reunion. I thought it would be weird without G there, but it was kind of the same as it always is - we all picked on eachother and generally had a good time.
The bash itself was great. Andrei, Andrew M., and Jeffers did a nice job of putting it together. The bash is one of the high school's biggest music events of the year. It was G's vision to have the concert, and we first started doing it my sophomore or junior year of high school. I think it was always one of G's favorite events, and it's good to see it going as strongly as ever.
I spent a little time talking to Brian when I wasn't playing. He seems to be doing really well. He's finally starting to seem like himself again. I think it helps that he's able to go to work a few hours a week now. Returning to work was probably his biggest goal, and I know it feels good to have some purpose to your days. That's how I felt when I started going to my classes again.
In other news, I tend to get motivated when I'm pissed off. If you read my last post, you know that I was pretty angry and frustrated that day. Anyway, the next day I was thinking about it, and I suddenly got the feeling that I could just get up and walk without crutches or anything supporting me. So I did. It was amazing. I would not have been able to do that even one day earlier. You have no idea how great it feels to be walking without any help for the first time in four months! It's more of a shuffle than a walk, but it's a start. It's still incredibly painful, but it's worth it. My ankle is so stiff. I wonder how much motion I'll regain, since my lower leg bones are basically screwed together at the ankle. I'll worry about that later though - right now I'm just happy I can walk again. Today I walked all the way to the other side of the house with no crutches or walker!
Anyway, time for bed.

No comments:
Post a Comment