weekend in review
Here's what I have been up to:
My house is clean!!! Raji came over Friday night and helped me clean my bedroom, and it looks great now. I have so much more space. When I moved back in, stuff got piled in my room and I never had the time or energy or physical ability to sift through everything and put it away. Yesterday Ali and I cleaned the rest of the house, and it looks so nice now.
Yesterday Ali and I had a party, and it was awesome! A ton of people came over and I had a really good time. Thank you, everyone who was here! Andrea and I bonded over a bowl of wop and several trays of jello shots... Good times.
Friday I went to the doctor because I could tell my ankle was starting to get infected. It's kind of sad that I'm so used to infections. My doctor is really frustrated with my ankle, and now he wants to go in and take the metal out. I could get it done over spring break. I'm really back and forth on whether I want him to do it or not. I'll list the pros and cons - maybe that will help me decide...
pros:
- it will probably heal up once and for all, since the metal is obviously irritating my skin
- maybe it won't hurt so much anymore
- basically metal sucks, so it would be nice to have it out
- maybe my ankle will look normal again someday
- my ankle will probably be less stiff once I fully recover, since my leg bones would no longer be screwed together
cons:
- ankle surgeries are so painful
- I might end up back where we started: with an incision that won't close & keeps getting infected... that's getting old
- if the incision STILL doesn't close after getting the metal taken out, I'll have to go to Rochester to have another specialist do another surgery
- my ankle might be more instable without the metal, though I shouldn't really need it anymore
- I'll be laid up for a little bit again
Sorry, that little exercise was pretty much for my benefit. I think I'll wait to see if the incision heals up more in the next week or so and then I'll decide.
Tonight I had another rehearsal for the Viennese Ball. It was really tiring. I wonder if I'll be able to swing dance again in time for the ball... or wear heels... probably not. But who knows, it's still seven weeks away.
Today it snowed a lot. It was the really heavy kind of snow, and it made me wish I could go play in the field and build a snowman, but instead the snow just made me achy and crabby. Oh well.
Yesterday I realized that the accident happened about five months ago. That's almost half a year ago. Can you believe it? It doesn't seem like something that happened so long ago, and it's almost weird to talk about it in past-tense, since it's still affecting every aspect of my life. On the CFMA page I found a link to a column about the accident and how it changed all of us for a week in October. The guy who wrote it deserves a lot of credit because he's also the one who's been maintaining the webpage, so I feel bad criticising him, but... A week? Are you kidding me? It's like Renee said in a couple of her posts - there's life before a tragedy and life after, and they are two very different things. For me that's especially true because my life was (and continues to be) interrupted due to the severity of my injuries. But it wasn't as bad as it could have been, and that's something I appreciate every single day. The disparity between my old life and the new gets a little smaller with each new accomplishment, and I'm thankful for that too.
Wow, this post was pretty random. Anyway, thank you everyone who's been reading my blog - I appreciate all the support. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment