evaporated
JazzFest has come and gone. I got about a hundred photos that were "keepers" and I had a lot of fun. It was really stressful trying to be there to take pictures at all the important events, but I heard a lot of good music, and I think people were appreciative that I took photos.
Some highlights of the weekend:
- I got to watch Chi-Hi's 10:30 jazz band.
- Nachito Herrera's concerts were AMAZING. I could have listened all day.
- Mr. Baca got a pie in the face.
- Lewis Nash showed up to the jam session at the Shanghai Bistro. Oh, and sushi was half-price, and I bought myself a ridiculously girly drink.
- The night concerts were awesome.
- Last night I went out to Green Mill with Lewis Nash and some of the Jazz I guys.
- The party at "the house" was really fun.
- Other stuff, I don't know, it was all pretty cool.
(click on the photos to see them larger)
Lowlights of the weekend:
- My driveway took off a piece of my car, twice. Whoops. I guess that will have to be fixed tomorrow.
- JazzFest schedules got a little messed up, and Dr. Cunningham was a jerk to Nachito...
- I'm really sore and exhausted.
Despite having a really fun Friday & Saturday, I was a little bummed today. It's probably just that I was really stressed out and now I'm exhausted. I've had a lot on my mind the past couple days. It seems like it's really starting to hit me that G is gone. For the past few days I've sat and listened to music all day, and when there are a lot of things you're trying to not think about, I guess listening to music kind of makes your mind wander sometimes, and all that stuff comes back up to the surface. I didn't word that very well but you probably get what I mean. Anyway, it's been kind of rough. It didn't help that one of the bands in Saturday's concert played Weckl's "Festival de Ritmo". We played that tune when I was a senior at Chi-Hi. It reminds me of our drummer Paul and of G. We spent so many hours working on it. Paul and G both loved that chart. It's weird to think that now they're both gone. I haven't really listened to it since Paul died four years ago, so hearing it again brought back a lot of memories.
It's nice having so many people to talk to. In the past couple of days, a lot of people have talked to me about the accident. It helps knowing that I have the support of so many people.
I realized tonight that I'm a little stressed about my upcoming surgeries. They're still a ways off, but I wish I didn't have them looming over my head. It's hard to think beyond my next surgery because I don't know how long it will take me to recover, and I guess it's hard for me to think that far into the future.
I've learned it's important to not take a single day for granted, but these are trying times. I wish I could take a vacation, but the things I need to get away from would follow me anyway.
"Don't you know I'm numb, man
No I can't feel a thing at all
'Cause it's all smiles and business these days
And I'm indifferent to the loss." - Ben Folds
Sorry for the downer post. There's a percussion ensemble concert tomorrow night at 7:30 in Gantner, and you should come.

No comments:
Post a Comment