. . . . .

8.31.2006



hey fellow music geeks



Finale or Sibelius?

9 comments:

erik said...

Finale, because that's what everyone else uses?

Pat said...

Sibelius seems to be the superior program...I just wish I woudl have the patience to learn it...


...and the money to afford it!

Adam Boll swears by Sibelius...you should ask him about it.

Ryan and Max's Mama said...

Sibelius...I think that it's better. Boll does love it.

ami said...

Haha, I remember that about Boll. I've never really used either program, but I want to learn one or the other. From what little experience I've had with Finale, it's been frustrating to use. But... it's what everyone else uses, so maybe I should learn it? I don't know. I'll probably try out Sibelius and see what I think. Thanks for the input.

Atad Calmer said...

I vote Sibelius, even though I've never used it. I'd use it if I could find a copy.

J said...

Sibelius

We've used to to write one full length musical and now a mini-musical. The program kicks ass, period. I used Fianle for many years and when we started writing LR I switched over. It wasn't terribly difficult and I quickly found that formating and editing non-music things (lyrics, comments, tempo, title) was far easier than 'ole Fianle's system. Sibelius has a free download that lets you use the full capabilities of the system, but you cannot save anything. Let me know if you have any more questions.

ami said...

Sweet, I'll try Sibelius and buy it if I like it. Does anyone know if it can open files created in Finale?

Atad Calmer said...

You have to save the file as an Enigma Transferable File (.ETF) file. Just do a "save as" and you can change the save file type. If my memory serves me right, I think the files will be on the large size.... Hope this helps...

Andrei S said...

I was on the verge of buying Sibelius last year, but I ended up upgrading to Finale 2006 after a lot of diliberation (sp). Adam does swear by Sib., but he and Josh are the only ones I know of who have it. I stuck with Finale because I already know how to use the program and didn't want to spend time learning how to use Sibelius. Plus, the new Finale is pretty good. The downside is that Finale upgrades practically every year, and Sibelius has a longer time between upgrades. Both have a free version, although Finale's free version has barely any of the capabilities of the regular version.

Both you can get a student discount with, but I can't remember right now which one is more expensive.

I would say that it depends on what you want to do with it. As a teacher, I'm glad I stuck with Finale because of the Smart Music capabilities and because it's what many schools have (but it's not backwards compatible, leaving me useless at Chi-Hi ...). And as far as I know - as in, with the latest Finale upgrade - you can't open Sibelius files. You can open Finale files with Sib., as Mark said - check on the procedure, but it can be done. Both programs have about the same capabilities with things, from what I know (making MP3s, extracting parts, etc.) but are different in the ease on how they're accomplished.

Long answer? Yes. Sorry. I hope it helped a little bit. I use Finale all the time (re-wrote a huge etude book on it this summer) so if you have questions about that, lemee know.