marching band, classes, vacation
Chi-Hi's first marching competition came and went, and I think they played pretty well. I haven't seen the scores, but I don't really need to. I think we've made as much or more progress than we usually have by this point in the season. The competition was a nice chance to see people I haven't seen for a while (sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to you, Bryan!). A handful of parent chaperones came with us on Saturday's trip, and they all asked me how I'm doing. It's nice to have so much help & support for the kids and our staff.
As I said in my last post, we took a bus to the Irondale competition last weekend. I think being on a bus was hard on all of us, but we got through it okay, and now we have that first bus ride behind us. It was a little hard for me because I ended up sitting by myself behind the rest of the staff, and I hadn't expected that. I think some people thought I was being a diva because I didn't want to sit by myself, but it wasn't that. If I were a diva, I wouldn't have stepped on that bus in the first place. I was just hoping I'd have people to talk to so I could be distracted. It was okay though because Raji came and sat with me for the rest of the way. Anyway, I'm proud of myself for getting on the bus - I certainly didn't HAVE to go along (I could have driven separately), but I wanted to show myself I could do it.
Physically, the weekend was very hard on me. It was frustrating because I did everything I could - I sat with my leg elevated as much as possible, used my crutches, didn't go long distances, took painkillers, etc. but it wasn't enough. It took me a few days to recover from our one-day trip. I was worried that I messed up my knee more or took a step backwards in my recovery, and in a way I kind of did. Last week during physical therapy I could bend my knee to 120 degrees. This week I could only go to 112, but with some more work I eventually got it to 120. So I guess it didn't really get worse, it just didn't improve at all. I'm worried about this weekend because it's a two-day trip. Oh well, I guess I'll just try and rest as much as possible. I feel like I'm pushing myself too much, but my doctor did say I can go on these trips.
So... on to some more positive topics. I really enjoy the classes I'm taking this semester. I'm taking a Meso-American art history class, Baroque counterpoint, percussion ensemble, and percussion lessons (seven credits total). They're all upper-level classes, so it's enough to keep me interested but not enough to be overwhelming. Dr. Crowell just lent me a new piece to work on for marimba, and I'm starting to work on a Chopin scherzo on piano. I really wish I could still take piano lessons. I've finished my eight-semester requirement, and now I'm on a waiting list to take lessons. Hopefully I'll be able to take lessons next semester. I'm kind of sad because both of the applied piano teachers I had (Cecchini and Dossin) aren't at UWEC anymore. Anyway, I can learn this piece on my own, but it's nice to have someone to check in with every week.
I think I'm going to be in a Leader-Telegram article soon. I got a call today from one of their reporters, and he did a short interview. He's doing a follow-up on some of us since the one year mark is coming up. I might end up in a Spectator article, too. One of their writers did a phone interview with me for an article on campus accessibility (which was awful, by the way) and I asked him if they were planning on doing a follow-up about the bus accident. He asked, "Oh, is that the accident where a UWEC student died?" I mentioned that, in addition, myself and four other students were injured, and there was a long pause as he absorbed that information. Of course he had no way of knowing that, since the Speculator didn't give us more than a quick mention in one article. I think they were too busy writing narcissistic fluff.
In other news, I am finally going on VACATION!!!! If you read this blog regularly, you probably know how badly I want to go on vacation. It's been one hell of a year, and I just need to go somewhere and get away from it all. In early January I'll be going on a cruise to Mexico with my parents, Raji, Dan, & Tenley. Yay!
I think that's about it. I had more, but it's late and I'm tired. Anyway, thanks for reading. It's flattering that people want to know what's going on in my life.

2 comments:
The Spectator can go to hell. 'Nuff said.
I'm glad that the trip worked out okay, but frankly, I am at a loss as to why you, of all people, ended up sitting by yourself. Did they think that you wanted to stretch your leg out or something?
hmmmmm.....
I had my own seat so I could stretch my leg out, but there were no staffers across the aisle. Raji came and sat next to me and I put a pile of pillows on him and put my leg up, so it worked out okay.
Post a Comment