it wears me out
Here's an update on stuff since last week.
Last Friday I had an appointment with an occupational medicine doctor. It was the first time I've met with him. I think basically his job is to oversee my case and track my progress. Since it was the first time I'd met with him, I had to re-hash everything I've gone through in the past year. Then he talked about how he thinks I'll be affected long-term. None of my other doctors really talk to me in terms of the future, so in a way it was nice to finally hear something about that from a doctor. It was hard, though. I heard pretty much what I expected, but it was sobering and depressing to hear it from someone who knows what he's talking about. Anyway, I won't go into details (because you never know who can find your blog). In good news though, he said it's obvious that I'm working really hard and I've come a long way.
I had a good talk with Catherine last week that pretty much sums up how I've been feeling lately. She mentioned that after you've gone through something really bad, it's hard to relate to people your own age. I feel like everyone around me is worried about things like whether or not they'll catch the latest episode of Grey's Anatomy or whether they'll be able to get off work so they can go drink, and I'm in a completely different world. But I know that's not exactly true - nobody's life is perfect, and everyone has their rough spots.
I'm still sick, but I think I'm gradually getting better. The biggest problem now is my complete lack of energy. It feels like I have mono - that's how exhausted I am. I know I don't have mono, this is just what it's like to try and recover from everything I've been through, and then be sick on top of that. I haven't had the energy to do much physical therapy stuff lately, and now I feel like I lost some of the progress I'd made. My fatigue is worse now that I'm sick, but it's pretty much something I've been dealing with since last October. The occupational med doctor told me it's partly due to my weight loss. I think there's something more to it, though - it seems like everyone who was affected by the accident is tired all the time now. Anyway, I was hoping by this point in the semester I'd be starting to feel better. I'm not looking forward to next semester - I'll be taking classes full-time again. I hope I get some of my energy back before then.
Okay, now something positive: speaking of school, I got A's on both of my tests last week, including the Baroque counterpoint test from hell.
I think I had more to write about, but I'm tired and it's time to pick up my laundry.
I'm not going to go into how I feel about the election results...

3 comments:
Maybe everyone has PTSD, hence the tiredness. I wouldn't doubt it. :)
The change in season and the less sunlight don't help either -- I have felt really tired the past two weeks because of the daylight savings ending. I can't wait until they extend the actual daylight hours to like, March through November.
That will be sweet. :)
JBBLGO!
I don't know why I put a smiley face after my first sentence. It's pretty out of place.
What a freak I am.
I know how you feel about not relating to our peers. If you are like me it feels like I've aged about 10 years, at least mentally.
I think the fatigue is probably from a lot of things. I think just the emotional stress is paralyzing, plus the season change, your injuries, and school. you have a lot on your plate and it's wearing to get through the day. Even on days when there isn't much to do.
I love you and I"m here for you. If you ever want a relaxing evening of watching movies or something I"m all for it, cuz like you the energy is lost.
Post a Comment