. . . . .

4.23.2007

this is an update

Okay, so I haven't updated in a while. The semester is finally starting to wind down. I'm done with my recital, the ball, and the percussion ensemble concert. Everything went well, and now I'm enjoying some much-deserved free time.

Last time I wrote, I talked about how frustrated I am with my knee. I had a physical therapy appointment not long after that, and I think things are looking up a bit. I mentioned to my therapist that my knee had popped (worse than usual) while I was doing some exercises at home. He asked me a bunch of questions after that, and then watched me walk around barefoot, and now he thinks I have patello-femoral syndrome. I guess it's a pretty common knee problem that basically means the kneecap isn't moving correctly. Then after doing some exercises and stuff, the therapist realized my kneecap wasn't moving much at all. After watching me walk, he thinks my heel also isn't moving the way it's supposed to, which is probably causing the kneecap problems. I think my heel is really stiff because of my foot being dislocated. Sounds like a lot of big issues, but he seemed really optimistic. It's nice to FINALLY know what's going on.

My therapist set me up with a light exercise routine, and it seems to actually be helping. I use the exercise bike for 10 minutes or so to warm up, then do a bunch of stretches, and then work on kneecap mobilizations (pushing on the kneecap in an effort to loosen it up). I hate doing the mobilizations, but I think it's making a difference. My knee still hurts a lot, but it's slightly less stiff, and at least it doesn't seem to be getting worse anymore.

In other news, I was extremely saddened to hear about the Virginia Tech shootings. I can't even imagine what those students are going through. It makes me value the relative safety we have here in EC, but then it also makes me question that sense of security. I think it's really sad/distressing that it takes something like this in order for campuses to put emergency evacuation plans in place - but then I guess hindsight is 20/20.

Anyway, does anyone want to make a trip to Hudson with me later this week?

No comments: