. . . . .

8.30.2007

anyone out there?

Today I had my second appointment with my new physical therapists. So far it's going well - they seem to really know what they're doing. It didn't take them long to isolate all my major issues (stiff heel, ankle, and kneecap). They seem to have good ideas, and they think I'll be able to regain at least a little motion in my ankle. My kneecap apparently is pretty much locked, so I don't know that it's going to get much better. But they have me doing exercises to target my overcompensation issues, so eventually my kneecap will hopefully move in a more natural way.

PT out here is so different. The office I go to is downtown, on the eighth floor of a big office building. The view is amazing, and on a clear day (like today) you can see Mt. Rainier. I'm really happy with this place so far as compared to the other place I tried. In addition to being very knowledgeable, they're really compassionate too. It's hard doing this out here though, where I don't know anyone... I'm used to the ortho wing at Midelfort, where just about everyone knew me by name. They all remember the first day I went over there - when I got my first cast put on, before I was discharged from the hospital - and after that, they would always remind me how far I've come and tell me how proud they are of me. It was nice working with people who knew me and knew what happened. It's so bizarre trying to explain the accident to people out here. I feel like I'm making something up - it doesn't sound like something that would really happen. Anyway, my current therapists weren't there when it happened, but they're doing their best to try and understand what I've been through and what I'm still going through.

If I were still going to UWEC, I'd be starting school after this weekend. It's kind of sad to think that everyone back home is getting together again after a summer apart, and I'm not there to enjoy it. It's also weird not going back to school there. But then I remember how frustrated I was at the beginning of the past couple of semesters when I knew I should have graduated already, but because of the accident, I was behind in school. I guess it's not too sad when I stop and think about the fact that I'm doing something new and exciting, and I'm finally going to grad school.

Anyway, I'm excited for this weekend - Ben H-D and Geoff will both be in town! Hanging out with them will definitely be a good change of pace.

Here are some pics from last weekend & earlier this week. The first is the Olympics and Puget Sound (as seen from Sunset Hill), the second is pretty self-explanatory (from Kerry Park), and the third is Mt. Rainier and Lake Washington (from Magnuson Park).




4 comments:

tetonbadger said...

Awesome Photos!

ami said...

thanks :)

Ryan and Max's Mama said...

The photos are amazing. Maybe we'll make it out there someday. I'd really like to see Washington State and Vancouver and that whole area. And I'm still listening. The whole weirdness of not having to start school with everyone else goes away, especially when you have a new (and different) schedule.
Finally, I'm glad you have found a different (and better?) PT place. That first guy sounded like a real moron.

The word verfication is: mylifo. Strange.

Anonymous said...

While we (I speak as a UW student not a UWEC student) are back together that also means that we are in long boring classes. Go out and enjoy the lovely summer weather for me!