study break/ADD
I'm in the library, and I need a break from working on this paper. I decided to do an analysis of Reich's Electric Counterpoint (just the third movement), focusing mainly on texture. That's the plan, anyway. I'm really sick and should probably be in bed. I've been stuck in the library all weekend. This isn't such a bad place to be stuck. I'm in the Reading Room of Suzzallo Library, which is a really pretty Gothic-style building. The Reading Room is a ridiculously long room with vaulted ceilings, and it looks like something out of Harry Potter. There are big Gothic chandeliers everywhere and stained-glass windows. Despite all the chandeliers, it's kind of dark in here, so all the tables have long library lamps on them. I keep coughing and sneezing, and it echoes really loud in here. It snowed here yesterday. Well, not in the Reading Room, but outside. Okay bye.

4 comments:
Very interesting! The Reich fest here at NEC was great - I got to see Music for 18 Musicians and Drumming played and I got to meet Reich (I was teaching for the prof I TA for and he popped his head in the door - it was a class on Bartok's Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celesta).
The aural effect of hearing those pieces live is like nothing I've ever experienced. Waves of sound wash over your ears and it's super intense!
Anyways, I hope writing goes well.
Randy
I feel your pain. Yesterday I was here (yes I'm still there) at the library so long that the cleaning man asked me to turn out the light in the library room when I left. :(
Randy, I'm jealous that you got to meet him!
Dr. C arranged "Electric Counterpoint" for percussion ensemble one semester, and we set the instruments up all around the floor of Gantner. It was really hard to pay attention to what I was playing and not get lost in the sound. We played "Music for Pieces of Wood" a few years back, and that was the same way. Very cool stuff.
Amber, I managed to close three libraries in two days over the weekend. And I'm still not done, so I get to do it again Thursday.
A much less academic and intellegent comment, in contrast to what has been commented on before:
I wish McIntyre looked like it was from Harry Potter.
Hope all is well.
Post a Comment