. . . . .

10.10.2008

o hai

Well, I suppose I should update. I'm spending a quiet evening at home, trying to get over a pesky cold. I am on both painkillers and cold meds right now - that's my disclaimer in case anything in this entry doesn't make sense.

This font looks really big on the text editor.

Hmm, what have I been up to lately... Well, the end of summer was a bit of a blur. Dan & Tenley came to visit, and I showed them around town. I win at sight-seeing tours. We had two or three days - we went to Pike's Place market, the aquarium, REI, Gasworks Park (we had a picnic), UW, Brouwer's, the shipyard in Ballard, Mr. Spots Chai House (so they could get the Seattle coffee shop experience), Archie McPhee's, the Ballard locks, and some other places. I can't remember everything now. Oh, we also saw Bon Iver on Capitol hill and had a beer with Sean before hand. Then I got to "work" at the merch booth for a song while Ben sat in with the band. That show was really crazy... It was the Saturday night over Labor Day weekend and the show was sold out. That was a week or two before they played on Conan.

After the whirlwind tour of Seattle, my parents joined up with us and we all (my parents, Danley, Austin, & I) went up to Whistler to hang out at the Four Seasons for a few days. Wow, what a beautiful drive. I took some photos but they didn't really do it justice. Anyway, it was a very relaxing trip.

A few days after we got home from BC, I had my ankle surgery. That was just over five weeks ago, and I still can't put any weight on it. I have an appointment with my doc in two weeks, and if all goes well, he'll tell me I can start putting weight on it. It's kind of hard to tell right now how well this surgery went. Since I can't put weight on it yet, I don't know if walking will be less painful than it was before the surgery. My doc said it should feel improved, but because the initial damage was so extensive, it's never going to feel "normal". On the bright side, my range of motion is already way better than it was pre-surgery!

Hmm, what else has happened... Oh, my roomies and I moved into a house that's a bit closer to school. We really like this house... it has a nice, open floor plan and a big huge deck. We even have a fenced-in back yard. When the weather is nice, the cats get to go play in the yard. Come visit!

Oh, and I just started year two of grad school. We start late here because we're on the quarter system. I've decided that the master's is a weird degree because it's only two years. Year one is like: here's grad school, write some papers. Year two: start contributing to the field, write a thesis. The thesis requirement here is a little different than at most other schools - instead of writing one thesis paper, we write three separate papers, each on a different topic. I think this method has its ups and downs... On one hand, I have to research, write about, and defend three separate topics. On the other hand, I won't have to do research on a single topic until I hate it.

Getting to and from school has been a bit of a challenge. According to the almighty Google, my bus stop is over half a mile away from the music building. I could take a second bus over to campus, but that seems like kind of a waste of time. I've been crutching that distance, carrying my school bag, several times a week. I'm going to get so buff. It's already getting easier, but it sucks when it's raining harder than the typical Seattle drizzle.

Well, I guess that's about it...

3 comments:

J said...

I'm starting to think about ideas for a thesis, though the program that I am does not require one. Instead I can do a project (basically a thesis with a little more freedom).

ami said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ami said...

Oops, that last one was me - apparently you can't edit your own comments.

Anyway, I'm jealous that you don't have to write a thesis, and that you already have ideas for your thesis (which you don't have to write). ;)