. . . . .

11.05.2008

Politics aside, I think it's awesome to be able to say that we will see the first black president take office. It's also pretty amazing to think that our parents' generation lived through the Civil Rights movement and have now seen a black man elected president. In one generation.

We tend to hear people of that generation say that they remember the exact moment they heard of JFK's assassination, or the moon landing, or Nixon's resignation. It's unfortunate that many of those "I-remember-where-I-was-when" moments tend to follow shocking, horrible events. Our generation has a few of those - Columbine, September 11th, Katrina. But now we have this memory: the election of a black man to the highest political office in the country.

I was sitting on my fouton, with Austin on one side of me and a cat on the other. I was sipping red wine, and at 8:00 we flipped over to NBC and saw the announcement, followed by the frenzied celebration in Chicago. I have never felt so much pride in my country.

Where were you?

No comments: