Cast-off
Well, I should have known what kind of day it would be when my first act this morning was to take a giant spill in the hallway. I tried to put my coat on and lost my balance. That didn't feel so great.
My "fun" continued with an orthopedic surgeon appointment. First I had x-rays, which is usually a long and uncomfortable process. Then I had my cast taken off and some stuff done to my stitches. I won't go into detail - it was painful and gross. My doctor talked to me about my x-rays because he saw something that concerned him. I don't fully understand it, but it's something about one of my ankle bones possibly not getting enough blood to have healed yet. If I were to put weight on it now, the bone would crush and then I'd get arthritis and have to get an ankle replacement. Judging by all the previous x-rays, everything should be okay. However, if it is messed up, I can't put weight on my leg for three months while it heals.
THREE FUCKING MONTHS.
three months.
yeah.
I hope that's not the case because it would break my heart if I couldn't play percussion or be in wind symphony or go on tour my last semester at UWEC.
...And speaking of my last semester, how the fuck am I supposed to get around on campus? Let's be honest, the handicap accomodations at UWEC are a joke. I currently get to my classes because I only have two of them and my mom takes me everywhere. When picking classes for next semester, I was under the assumption that I'd once again be able to get around on my own. If I'm still wheelchair-bound, I'm going to have to rearrange my class schedule so that I don't have two classes in a row because I probably won't have time to get everywhere. And switching classes around isn't really an option because I need specific classes to graduate.
If it's going to take me that long before I can learn to walk again, think of how long it will be before I can drive.. or be able to live at my house in EC...
I know this is all the worst-case scenario, but it's hard to not think about it. I have to get an MRI in a few weeks and then the doctor will decide whether or not it looks okay. Three weeks doesn't sound like a long time, but I haven't been able to put weight on my foot for the past four (almost five) weeks and I'm going stir-crazy. I was looking forward to putting weight on my foot today.
Anyway... I went to physical therapy after my orthopedic appointment. It was my first session, and my doctor pulled some strings and got me in right away. PT was better than I thought it would be. It's kinda scary when your knee doesn't work the way it should, so I'm glad to be working on it so it will get better. I didn't want to go to PT today and have more people poking and prodding at me, but the exercises actually made me feel a little better.

No comments:
Post a Comment