. . . . .

11.04.2005



Field trip!



I figured out how to do titles - I can't find the easy way, so I'll just alter the code. I'll go through and title all my old posts. Anyway... Today my parents took me on a field trip, yay! It wasn't the most exciting trip, but it's nice to get out of the house anyway. I had a couple of appointments at the clinic, one of which was to get a new cast put on my ankle. First the doctor had to take off the monstrosity that included my splint, padding, and an ace bandage or three. The splint was put on instead of a cast after Tuesday's surgery because of the swelling. Seeing my leg without anything covering it was weird. It looks like something that doesn't belong to me. My mom had to excuse herself from the room. I got a black cast (the better to use metallic Sharpies on) and they took a bunch of x-rays for my files.

Next was the fun part of the trip, we picked up Raji and went to Mogie's for lunch. I've been craving a hamburger for a while, and Mogie's makes the best burgers. As would be expected, my current situation is making me realize everything I used to take for granted. Going out to eat for lunch is always a treat but it's even better when you're normally confined to your bed. Today we observed that Mogie's has a step up to the front door. We'd all been there plenty of times before and never thought anything of it. Luckily it wasn't too big of a hassle, and on the way out we went out the back door (no step) and joked around a little with the bar owner and the beer deliveryman.

After dropping Raji off, I suggested we stop at my work to pick up the paycheck that was waiting for me there. We stopped in front of the store and my mom climbed out of the truck to go in and collect my check. When she came back out, my manager was with her. I hadn't expected to see Traci because she's usually at her other store by that time. We exchanged a big hug and she told me how much she misses me. I last saw her a couple weeks ago when she visited me twice in the hospital. It was really nice to see her.

Last night I had a pretty big accomplishment - I used crutches and, for the first time since the accident, went in my parents' family room. I hadn't been in there yet because the room is a step below the kitchen, and steps can't really be negotiated with a walker. I sat on a regular easychair like a normal person (except for the pillow under my reclined leg) and watched TV with my parents until I got tired, then I went back to my bed.

Something else to be happy about: the orthopedic surgeon says I'll be walking in a little more than two weeks. That's so soon! I have a lot of healing to do between now and then, but I'm excited.

No comments: