. . . . .

3.23.2006



PSA



Chi-Hi has an alumni winterguard for this season, and they're performing on Saturday, 4/1 in the cities (for WGI? or something...). They're also doing three run-throughs of their show on Sunday, 3/26 starting at 11 am at Parkview school in Chippewa. The guard is seeking an audience for their dress rehearsals.

I highly recommend trying to see one of these performances. The alumni guard formed in the weeks following the accident, and since then they've been having long weekly practices to get ready for an exhibition performance.

The show is a tribute to G. For over a decade, G was in charge of the Firebirds Winterguard at Chi-Hi. The tribute show is set to the music of Greenday's "Time of Your Life" and, as I understand it, there will be voiceovers from some of the alumni, talking about what G meant to them. I've tried in this blog to explain why G was such a big influence on me, but words fall short. He was one of my biggest heroes - he taught me how to play percussion, he showed me that music is a worthwhile career, and showed me that you should have fun doing whatever you choose to do. He was the first teacher I had who really believed in his students, and treated them like adults, and challenged them. He was a huge influence on so many people. I'm glad that Chi-Hi's marching band isn't going to do a tribute show next season, but sometimes I kind of wish we were, so I think the guard show will be nice. Sad, but nice.

4 comments:

tetonbadger said...

Dan just explained what a "winterguard" was- now I am les confuzeled.. :)

johnseb said...

That's a pretty sassy pic in your profile. HOTTIE!!!!!!!!!!

ami said...

;)

Anonymous said...

It's so hard to put some stuff into words. I've been trying for over a year and I still can't do it. I agree that it's sad that we won't have a tribute next year, but I think Collicot made a good choice. There's always a fine line between remembering somethin and dwelling on it. :)