spring break
Yay I'm on spring break! It's going well so far, if a bit uneventful. I've forgotten what it's like to be able to relax, and not worry about what I have to do tomorrow. That is, if I don't think about all my appointments and all the catch-up work I should be doing... I can't wait until summer, when I won't be busy all the time. I was going to take some classes over summer break but now I think I'm just going to hold off on that and stay in school for another semester. That way I won't have to worry about getting health insurance and paying off loans right away. That wasn't going to be an issue since I was planning on going straight to grad school after I graduate, but now I have to wait an extra year because the accident put me so far behind. I wish life would just wait until I can catch up. Summer will be nice because, in theory, I will be "caught up" for a while. It sucks though because I need another couple surgeries. I need my ACL fixed, but first I need part of the rod in my femur to be removed. I'm thinking maybe I can get the rod out in early summer and then wait until winter break to get my ACL fixed, since I have to be all healed before that surgery can be done. I also want the metal out of my ankle, but I decided to wait on that, so maybe that can be done when the rod is taken out.
Ali and I are apartment hunting. I'll be so glad when we have a lease signed and we don't have to worry about it anymore! We found some places that sound promising, so we'll be touring some of them in the next couple days. I really like the duplex we're in now but I need a place that doesn't have stairs, since I'll have a few surgeries to recover from within the next year. We're also hoping to find a place that's a little closer to campus.
Another thing to do over break: find a dress for the Viennese Ball. Every year the university holds a formal Austrian-themed ball, complete with waltzes and wienerschnitzel. I play tympani with the orchestra - this will be my fourth year doing it. Unfortunately I have dropped a couple sizes since I wore my dress last year, so it's time to find a new one. It's kind of a pain having to spend money on it, but I really like dress shopping, so it's okay. Ali and I are trying to plan a couple formal parties, so at least I'll get to wear the dress a few times.
Physical therapy is going pretty well. I've dropped down to two appointments a week instead of three, and now I only work with my therapist or my athletic trainer, instead of half an hour with each. My appointments are really tiring. Today I spent 10 minutes on the stationary bike, then spent five minutes on the stair stepper, then did some ankle stretches, then did some marching with a resistance band around my waist, then ran on a trampoline for two minutes. Yeah, I was tired afterwards.
Sleeping has been going pretty well lately. I'm finally able to sleep on my side!!!!!!!! I am such a side sleeper, but in the weeks following the accident, my leg would ache unbearably after five minutes on either side. After everything I've been through, all I wanted to do was curl up in bed, but I couldn't. I thought I'd never be able to sleep on my side again, but now I can do it for a few hours at a time. Also, following the accident, my leg would jerk whenever I was trying to fall asleep and it would hurt a lot, but now that doesn't really happen anymore. I'm probably the only one who cares about all this, but that's okay, I'm just happy that I can sleep on my side again.
Time to sleep - tomorrow's a big day!

2 comments:
Oh no, I know what it's like to not be able to sleep the way that you normally do.
I feel and scraped the crap out of my rear end, and I could only lay on my stomach for like 2 days. Okay, so not the same as you, but I understand the feeling -- it's almost impossible to fall asleep sometimes.
Good luck finding a dress for the Viennese Ball -- You know, I know why you dropped a couple of sizes and I would much rather that you hadn't b/c of how it happened, all things considered, but I am just a little jealous that you did anyway. That's just me who can't fit into jeans now b/c I went the other way.
Okay, bye bye
fnrobjdr!
oops -- I meant fell...typing shorthand at work all the time has just absolutely screwed up my english.
Post a Comment