. . . . .

12.19.2006



that which cannot be put into words



Well, it's about that time of the semester again - the time where everyone else is on winter break and those of us at UWEC are in the midst of finals. Since I'm a part-time student this semester, I don't have many finals this week. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed anyway. I actually don't have any tests this week, just projects. I'd almost rather have tests, instead of having to finish composing a fugue. For the record, fugues are pretty hard to write. I have so much stuff going on this week that I had to create a big "to-do" list. I'm having trouble keeping track of everything. In addition to the projects I'm working on, I taught for a few hours at Menomonie yesterday (I'm working with their winter drumline - I don't know if I mentioned that on here). Also, I have to finish those pesky grad school applications. Speaking of things I need to do, note to self: buy cat food before the savages get upset.

I had my percussion jury yesterday and it went pretty well. Actually I think it was the best jury I've ever had, which figures - it wasn't really important this time. I'm working on a marimba solo by Julie Spencer called "After the Storm." It's really difficult, but I absolutely love it. I'm playing it on my joint recital next semester (April 12th), so I should have enough time to perfect it. My hands were really tired because I practiced way too much in the days leading up to my jury, but like I said, it went fine.

I got a CD from the Memorial Concert that was held in May, and I'm listening to "Threnody" (the piece that was commissioned from Jim Bonney). Wow, I almost forgot how heavy it is. It's a lot different to listen to it, rather than playing it. It's easier to appreciate what's going on when you're not counting measures of rests. Listening to it reminds me of how difficult those rehearsals were. I think I kept it together pretty well, but all I was thinking about the whole time was how unfair it is that those five people are gone. I spent a lot of time crying that week. I remember some people saying the piece is too sad, and they wished it were more optimistic, or something like that. I know that would have made people feel more comfortable, but I like it just the way it is. As far as I know, there is no real-life happy ending in this case, so let's not make one up. Besides, I think the point of music is to take us somewhere, even if that place is uncomfortable. It says things for which we can't find words, or that we're too afraid to say. As Victor Hugo said, "Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent." Sad as it is, I'm so glad we'll always have this piece of music as a way of remembering. If you'd like to get your hands on a CD from the concert (in exchange for a small donation to the Greenhalgh Endowment Fund), talk to Andrei.

On a lighter note (I think?), watch this:



Interesting, but not surprising.

I've started becoming addicted to YouTube (I know, I'm a little late on that one)... Andrei posted a bunch of links to neat videos. This one of Chick Corea and Gary Burton is my favorite, despite (or maybe because of?) the abundance of bad hair:



Gary Burton's dampening skills are crazy.

Anyway, good luck on finals.

4 comments:

J said...

Great videos!

Ryan and Max's Mama said...

I agree about the happy thing. It's something that the newspapers and media have all spun on the situation. Like, it's been a year, so everything must be hunky-dory like a movie.

It's sad, it will always remain sad. It will always make me tear up when I think about it. And I haven't heard said piece of music yet. I couldn't make it to that concert. So, I will probably bug Andrei for one.

Becky said...

AMY! I'm soooo sorry to have missed your party last night!! AH! I really wanted to go, too. I'm sorry....

ami said...

It's okay, but it was your loss ;)